Re: File manager tree.

bob@kehs.ksd.org writes:

| Normally I would agree with you. BUT, I have worked for the help desk at
| my job. I have seen people that know so little about computers that they
| cant even comprehend the right click. (you see userfriendly poke fun of
| this all the time). So that is a problem. There is no way to teach some of
| these people how to set up there own acounts in any way other then a hand
| holding wizard. I wish people would be able to learn how, but it is just
| not posible.

<OFF-TOPIC>
Yes there is a way to teach them, but not over the phone.

I'll bet that it is much easier to learn ignorant people to use
commands than to learn them the intricate clicking of that much abused
device called mouse.

Anyway I think that learning "those" people how to run GMC as root
will be certain disaster.

If help desks worked on tutorials that the customers could download or
buy, a lot of the workload would have been reduced. I mean how hard can
it be if you tell a newbie:

open a shell (show him how)

now you have to become root user (explain what that means)

type:

su <ENTER>
and then the password

type then:

/usr/sbin/adduser username

etc...

I think even my mother would be able to manage that. I mean it is not
more advanced than a recipe for a cake! It is mostly in the way one
presents the material.

</OFF-TOPIC>
--
Preben Randhol             oO     "Don't think about domination,  think
[randhol@pvv.org]        .`  ;     about freedom, it doesn't dominate."