Re: GNOME plans (--> mail clients)

> On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Augusto Cesar Radtke wrote:
>
> > > - simple and easy to use

For whom? The novice, the advanced user, or both?
Software nowadays seems to be solely directed at novice
users and not to me. :-)

> > - new mailbox style ; the old huge mbox is big and slow ;

Creating a new mailbox format will have one serious disadvantage:
incompatibility with other mailers. I think the best way to go
is to separate the mailbox management from the MUA. That way
we can have several MUAs accessing the same mailbox. Maybe the
best thing would be to have an IMAP server since many (?) MUAs
understand that. I don't know if IMAP is a Good Think, though.

The mailfetching should be part of this too. I'm not sure what
you want when you say you don't want to depend on fetchmail et al,
but I think that sounds like reinventing the wheel, again :-)
Maybe we just need an additional, simple-intuitive-newbie UI
for fetchmail, although I would like to avoid the buzzword
"intuitive" since intuition is something personal and sometimes
very wrong.

I think this philosophy applies to the addressbook too. It would
be great to have an "Addressbook-server" that all kinds of programs
could use, e g both mail and news.

I advocation modular programming here - separate the easily discerned
tasks into their own program and let them interact. This is the UN*X
way, right? :) Much easier to change one part then.

> > - good design;
> > - simple and fully documented;

You talk the talk, but do you walk the walk? :-)

--
Per Erik Stendahl