Some ideas on killer apps we need
- From: James Green <gnome cyberstorm demon co uk>
- To: gnome-list gnome org
- Subject: Some ideas on killer apps we need
- Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 19:59:09 +0100 (BST)
For some time now I've been wanting to put this down on the list. Well
The GNOME project has so far consisted on core packages (gnome-core,
gnome-media, gnome-network, etc.) and apps which people have created
seperately. It seems to me that there are a number of things that need
1. Since the vast majority of us use the Internet, decent apps for this
are sorely needed. A mailer backend(?) is being developed, and a number of
end-user mail apps are also under construction. While this is good, we
shouldn't just be concentrating on mail.
A large number of us are regulars in Internet Newsgroups, or USENET. From
what I can tell, other than News Peruser (who's website is currently down,
but who's interface from the early Beta of version 4 was quite slow and
user-unfriendly) and Pan (looks promising), we don't have much to offer.
2. We need a decent Program package maintainer app. if you were to combine
rpm and apt, and then make a decent GNOME UI, I think you'd have a killer.
Just some thoughts on a rather hot day in Sunny England.
Home of the demon.tech.modems 56k FAQ.
] [Thread Prev