Re: Comparative review between Gnome and KDE in UK PC-Mag

On 30 Jul 1999 15:50:46 -0400, Tom Gilbert
<gilbertt@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I just read a review in a UK PC magazine (the best selling mag)
>comparing Gnome 1.0 and KDE 1.1.
>
>We didn't do terribly well.
>
>I have made the review text availble for non-UK developers and users
>on http://www.tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk
>
>I strongly suggest reading it, as it gives a useful indication of how
>external reviewers experience the product.
>
>I have (with difficulty) refrained from adding my own comments, so the
>text is verbatim. However, I have emailed the author, to inform him of
>a couple of things he missed, a couple of things he got *wrong*, and
>that the version he tested is woefully outdated.
>
>I suggest you all do the same. :-)

I'm all for accuracy. However, we need to read this objectively, trying to
think "Is there some way I could possibly make GNOME even slightly closer
to the expectation of the reviewers?", and "How can we continue to improve
on the things we did well on?"

For example, working to expand DnD support even more would be a good
thing, as would be working on the missing documentation, or whatever
strikes your fancy :)

Basically, we have to avoid having the same response to this as some
people had to Mindcraft ("it's biased", "it's irrelevant", when it was
showing problems in a specific area).
-- Elliot
Who me? I just wander from room to room.