The Future of GNOME?

Hi,
I have seen the word GNOME 2.0 come up in a couple of posts lately. Nothing
significant. But then I realized. KDE has a pretty clear goal in mind and
has /plans/ for KDE 1.1.2 and plans for KDE 2.0 and it's pretty clear which
direction its going (i.e. what they plan to incorporate and do their
software). I haven't seen anything like that so far with GNOME. In fact, is
anybody at all thinking about GNOME 2.0? After the 1.0 release we went into
bug-fixing mode and we're still there apparently. Also, now we're throwing
in new features and a ton of new stuff in the 1.0.x release of GNOME.
Shouldn't the GNOME developers split off a new branch to start work with?
Here's some stuff that I've learned about the next generation of GNOME just
from browsing the mailing list.
- The replacement of ESounD
- The creation of the GNOME Multimedia Framework (GMF)
- The discontinuation of GMC as the default GNOME desktop manager and the
creation of a new desktop handler (gnome-desktop?)
- The ability to re-size the panel
- The creation of the 'camel' interface (is that its name?) as a back-end
to the GNOME mailer
- A new state of the art GNOME mailer (it'll compare to Microsoft Outlook
as Gnumeric compares to Excel)
- The integration of programs to create GNOME Workshop (Office Suite)
Anything else?