Re: Sound problems - CD Player not working

Warning: I am perpetuating an off-topic, non-gnome-specific thread.  I
accept any and all rebukes, but I am interested in the problem presented in
this thread.

I'm having the same problem as the original poster.  I use an Ensoniq
AudioPCI soundcard. Sound works fine on linux (it actually works *better*
under linux than windows---less hiss!), except when trying to play a cd via
a cdplayer app, either X-based or console.  As was suggested, this might not
be a software problem, since there's a direct line from the cdrom drive to
the soundcard.  But it certainly isn't a hardware problem (for me, at
least), since cd player apps work fine under Windows.  I've checked to make
sure that all the appropriate lines/volumes are turned up and unmuted.
Linux cd apps will recognize the cd, will look it up correctly on cddb, will
play it (time advances on the player, sound comes out of the cdrom drive
itself via the headphone jack), but no sound comes out of the soundcard.  I
haven't checked to see if write permissions are set on my /dev/hdc file (as
another poster suggested), but I don't understand why that would affect
things.

I'm curious as to what type of soundcard the original poster was using, and
if anyone has gotten an Ensoniq AudioPCI (the original card, not the
Creative Labs version) to play cd audio files.  I've done a bit of research
on deja.com, and it seems that others are having similar problems with this
card.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for perpetuating an off-topic thread,

-Scott