Re: Sound problems - CD Player not working

Ken Corbin (kenc@pioneer.net)'s email of 07/28/99 09:51 said:

>This may not be a Gnome related problem since it seems to be affecting all X
>based CD Players, but someone here might know what is wrong.  I seem to
>have my
>sound card configured correctly, Applications that open /dev/dsp (x11amp) are
>working properly.  But the gtcd CD player won't make a peep.  Doing some
>snooping in the /proc directories shows that gtcd is opening  some
>unidentified
>socket rather than /dev/dsp.  All of which implies that there is supposed
>to be
>some kind of daemon running to relay information the  the sound system.
>But I
>sure can't figure out just what it might be.
>
>Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Nope. Audio from CD playback is not sent to your sound card via software;
it is converted to analog *in your cdrom drive* and sent to the sound
card via a special 3- or 4-connector cable. There it is mixed with the
analog output produced from other sources and sent to the minijack
output. All of this has nothing to do with software.

If any CD player indicates that the CD is actually playing (ie. timer
runs, light on the drive itself flashes) then make sure you have that
special cable from the CD ROM hooked up to your sound card; alternately,
you can do as I've done and remove that cable and solder on separate RCA
outputs to plug into your home stereo receiver or whatever, completely
independent of your sound card.

--
"True riches only increase." -R. Buckminster Fuller
sungod@atdot.org              http://blackness.org/