Re: upgrade

"jack wallen, jr" wrote:

> gnome-python, gnome-objc, gtk--).  in order to upgrade one component (from
> the stock red hat 6.0) i'm assuming that i have to upgrade everything?  if

Not at all.  I ignore the cookbook instructions you find here and
there.  What I do is download the component that I want to upgrade, and
do an "rpm -Uvh" on it.  If RPM doesn't complain, that's just spiffy.

If RPM does complain that it needs something else, I reconnect (or
switch back to the FTP window, if it's still open) and get the packages
that it needs.  I then do an "rpm -Uvh" on the _entire set_ of new RPMs
-- RPM is happiest when upgrading a bunch of related packages if you
pass all the file names at the same time, so it can resolve dependencies
internally.  Repeat until done.  B-)

I just did this sequence to update my gmc to the newest version.  It
took several iterations, but now I've got new versions of many packages,
which I won't have to update again for a while.

Yes, you could download "everything" if you really wanted to, but in my
case, I just wanted a new gmc.  That required several updated libraries,
but only one other user-level app had to be updated (gnumeric, because
the version I had depended on an older library that the gmc update
replaced).  My other GNOME apps are still stock RH6, and that's fine
with me.

> (the gnome-ftp site is always unavailable).  i've gone to nearly half the
> mirror sites and they all contain out of date packages - so that's not
> even a possibility.

Try ftp.gurulabs.com.  The stuff there is always fairly fresh, to the
point that the packages there are usually newer than the RHAD updates at
ftp.gnome.org.
--
= Warren
= ICBM Address: 36.8274040 N, 108.0204086 W, alt. 1714m