control panel_window manager selection cannot edit, greyed out

the delete button is greyed out, even when the window manager is
selected.

Though my biggest problem is when i highlight WindowMaker or
Enlightenment and click edit, everything inside the edit dialog box is
greyed out and i cannot change any settings.

I'm running redhat 6.0 with the window managers that shipped with it.  I

found out about this problem becuase when i was logging out at the
panel, my WindowMaker desktop was not being saved when i logged back
in.  In WindowMaker preferences i've checked the save settings on exit,
so in order to save my desktop i have to use the Window Maker menu to
exit windowmaker, then i use the panel to log out.  I've recently did a
new install i didn't seem to have this problem with my old installation.

I've been using the gdm(gui) login screen with this installation.

Do i need to have a .Xsession or .xinitrc file in my home directory?