Re: Maybe GNOME needs some Marketing?

sjefford@bigfoot.com (Simon Jefford) writes:

[ "mainstream" magazines devoting space to Linux in GB ]

Same here in Germany.

> However it struck me reading these reviews that KDE was getting all the
> limelight. Even a review of Redhat 6.0 had pictures of KDE rather than GNOME.

That's obviously true here in Germany as well.  KDE is getting a lot
more exposure in the public perception.

> Now I'm not saying that we should be looking to "krush KDE" or anything like
> that. What I am saying is that maybe we should be "pushing" GNOME a bit more so
> that it gets the attention it deserves.

It's not a matter of marketing and attention.  It's just that KDE is
far more advanced than GNOME since as a project it had quite some more
time to evolve and lots of people *do like* to develop for it.

The money driven software industry is definitely interested in a
complete infrastructure to depend on for developing applications for
Linux.  KDE as application development environment (the desktop issue
is a minor one in this regard) is obviously far more advanced than
GNOME and is therefore getting the most credits and attention by third
party commercial application developers (can you say Corel, Caldera,
SuSE, EasyLinux, etc. ?).  The commercial world doesn't care for the
"Free" part of software.  It's money that counts.  StarOffice BTW was
made to be this monstrosity it currently is only because of a lack of
this kind of infrastructure.

Sure, marketing is useful when appropriate but it's no good idea to
create only hype.  The code behind the hype is what counts.

                              Just my two EURO, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------