Re: GNOME install Order

"Jesse D. Sightler" <jsight@mindspring.com> writes:
> Raja R Harinath wrote:
> > >
> > > Unless something has changed recently, I am fairly certain that libgtop
> > > is NOT dependent upon gnome-libs.  Actually, wasn't libgtop always
> > > intended to be usable completely outside of the Gnome project?  I think
> > > so...  :-)
> >
> > You're right.  However, it does make sense to build `libgtop' after
> > `gnome-libs'.  `libgtop' depends on libgnomesupport, and includes a
> > private copy which it uses (and installs) if gnome-libs isn't already
> > installed.
> >
> > So, to prevent duplication of work, it makes more sense to build
> > `libgtop' after `gnome-libs'.
>
> Hehe, like I said, "unless something has ... changed".  :-)  I was not
> aware that libgtop now uses libgnomesupport in any form, and am almost
> certain that it has not always been that was (and was not that way the
> last time I compiled:).

Hmm...  That may be if the last time you compiled libgtop was a more
than an year ago.  Here's a ChangeLog entry of interest:

  1998-06-08  Martin Baulig  <martin@home-of-linux.org>

        * support: Added again.

        * Makefile.am (SUBDIRS): Added `support' again.

        * configure.in: First, we check for gnome. If it is not
        found, we run GNOME_SUPPORT_CHECKS; otherwise use
        `$GNOME_LIBDIR -lgnomesupport'.

Not much has changed in this regard since, unless bitrot set in.

However, you are right that the `libgtop' library itself doesn't
appear to require `libgnomesupport'.  Only the auxiliary programs
(like the libgtop_daemon, which should be unused, anyway, on Linux)
and example code need it.

- Hari