Re: SuSE and GNOME

Hi,

I´ve been away for holidays when this intersting thread sprang up.
Still, I feel I should add some iceing.

Michael Perry wrote:

> Quoting Miguel de Icaza on Sun, Jul 04, 1999 at 12:08:36PM -0500:
> >
> > So, I saw it with my own eyes.  GNOME as shipped in SuSE 6.1 is broken
> > beyond hope.  I do not know what is going on, but the thing is hardly
> > usable.
Haven't got this running. But recent SuSE releases never had well
working gnome sets.

> > I have seen detailed reports on GNOME problems with SuSE on this list
> > and detailed problem listings.  Could these people please email the
> > SuSE maintainers and try to get the fixes into the distribution?
> >
> > They are taking suggestions to improve the GNOME state, but we need to
> > send those over.  I am not running SuSE myself now so I can not do this.
> > Please, help us.
> >
> > Miguel.
> >

> > --
> >         FAQ: Frequently-Asked Questions at http://www.gnome.org/gnomefaq
>
> Hi Miguel-
>
> We talked for a bit at the Open Source forum in Austin regarding the state
> of SuSE rpms.  Many people are applying the rpms which ship with SuSE which
> I have found do not work too reliably here.  There are also rpms that Jan
> maintains off of www.gnome.org which seem to work a bit better.  There are
> issues which I will summarize:
I started building rpms because the SuSE rpms weren´t updated and
weren´t working well (as they contained all the old bugs). I did start
from the 5.2 release, I think, which does explain some of the
incompatabilities described below.

> *sessions are not always saved between sessions.  As an example, sometimes,
> I add launchers, or drawers, to the panel and they are not saved between
> sessions.  I have found that several things happen here.  Sometimes I think
> the session file in my $HOME gets corrupt but other times I remove the gnome
> desktop directory and it clears it up.  ImO, this should not happen at all.

I haven't seen any more problems recently. Neither on my own System, nor
reports from others. I believe thos were bugs in
gnome-session-management (which might showed in particular on SuSE).

> *the rpms that suse has done are not compatible with the rpms that Jan has
> done.  This produces a number of problems when a person desires to move over
> to Jan's stuff.  I have not been able to do this successfully on my SuSE 6.0
> system.  This led me to follow your advice and install redhat 6 on my laptop
> since I truly love Gnome and would like to see it working at its best.
Rpms were compatible to begin with, however when I started SuSE had only
a small subset of rpms on their distribution and didn't even update
those for the next distribution. I then decided to prodcue a complete
set of rpms using the "real" package names to set them apart from the
once on the CD. This decision was made as I couldn't anticipate package
name form SuSE, as well as the packages weren´t updates but more of a
new set which weren't intended to be mixed with the old ones.

> *the rpms off of www.gnome.org are great but this seems to be a project
> which has a lot of life in it.  The SuSE rpms have not been updated since
> their release.  This is not good.  There needs to be constant attention to
> the state of rpms.  The person releasing RedHat 6 rpms seems to be
> continuously releasing new builds.
SuSE has in the past always provided functional, well integrated and
working rpms of the programs it supports. Gnome has been untill recently
very much in flux and still a bit shaky. It was my intention to help
gnome to get through that phase on the SuSE plattform. Eventually (about
now) gnome should have progressed far enough that waiting between the
distribution releases shouldn't be too painfull as sets included should
be of high enough quality.

> *The Gnome rpms off of ftp.suse.com need to add new windowmanagers such as
> enlightenment and windowmaker as new versions are released.  I am not sure
> that this is done there.
In particular some of the windomanager that are included weren´t
compiled without gnome support.

> I have other some other comments which I have raised on the suse mailing
> list in the past regarding the health of the SuSE Gnome updates.  I have
> never applied the SuSE rpms with positive results and since the two groups
> of rpms do not play well together; the results can be disastrous when moving
> between rpm packs.
>
> I would only ask that there should be a standard for rpms for the
> distributions that everyone agrees to.  This would mean that rpms would be
> similar in design and not completely ruin the system's ability to run Gnome
> if a person mistakenly downloads core parts from another source.
I'm having another important exam right now, afterwards I will upgrade
to the latest SuSE release. I will then have a look at changing package
names around.

If SuSE would finally support gnome the same way as it does kde most
problems would be solved anyway.