Re: [PROBLEM] empty panel

Quoting Preben Randhol on Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 01:05:26PM +0200:

> I run my computer with runlevel 3 so I start X with startx. When I
> want to reboot to start Windows to convert W*#d documents, I quit X
> (I use WindowMaker) and reboots the machine. The problem is that
> sometimes when I get back to linux and X the panel starts up but none
> of my applets, menus in the panel shows up. I get an empty panel and
> have to start adding all the applets again.
>
> If I just exits X and starts it up again it does not happen.
>
> Sometimes I forget to logout (of the console) before I run shutdown,
> but I am not sure if that is the reason why this happens.
>
> Have anybody else experienced this? Does anybody know how the panel
> figures out which applets to load ? I mean are there any files I can
> check to see if it's missing/corrupt ?
>
> System: Kernel 2.2.5, RH 6.0, glibc 2.1 and the lates gtk 1.2.3 and
> gnome (gnome-core 1.0.7, gnome-libs 1.0.11 etc)
>
> --
> Preben Randhol             oO     "Don't think about domination,  think
> [randhol@pvv.org]        .`  ;     about freedom, it doesn't dominate."
> [www.pvv.org/~randhol/]   \ G                  -- RMS, LinuxWorld 1999.

I had this exact same problem on SuSE.  If I logged out of my session and
back in immediately, the panel was still there with all the apps I loaded;
if I shutdown and rebooted, my added icons (launchers) were gone with a
rather default panel.  I started looking around and found that there is a
folder in ~/,gnome called session which seems to include all the session
settings.  Once I moved this file completely and gnome generated a new one
and things were normal again (for awhile).  Next time, I remembered what had
happened so I quickly moved the session file, but it still occurred.
Experimenting, I next removed the ~/.gnome.desktop directory and the problem
went away but my cached desktop settings for the foot applications I had
added like to user menu was gone.  This did solve the missing panel
launchers problem though.

--
Michael Perry -			"Nobody can give you wiser advice than
mperry@znet.com			yourself"	-Cicero