[PROBLEM] empty panel

I run my computer with runlevel 3 so I start X with startx. When I
want to reboot to start Windows to convert W*#d documents, I quit X
(I use WindowMaker) and reboots the machine. The problem is that
sometimes when I get back to linux and X the panel starts up but none
of my applets, menus in the panel shows up. I get an empty panel and
have to start adding all the applets again.

If I just exits X and starts it up again it does not happen.

Sometimes I forget to logout (of the console) before I run shutdown,
but I am not sure if that is the reason why this happens.

Have anybody else experienced this? Does anybody know how the panel
figures out which applets to load ? I mean are there any files I can
check to see if it's missing/corrupt ?

System: Kernel 2.2.5, RH 6.0, glibc 2.1 and the lates gtk 1.2.3 and
gnome (gnome-core 1.0.7, gnome-libs 1.0.11 etc)

--
Preben Randhol             oO     "Don't think about domination,  think
[randhol@pvv.org]        .`  ;     about freedom, it doesn't dominate."