Re: Can't get less to work with gnome-terminal

Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx> said:
> Can we try to track this problem down?

Starting gnome-terminal with

env - DISPLAY=$DISPLAY HOME=$HOME gnome-terminal \
  -x perl -e 'while (my($k,$v)=each %ENV) { print "$k=$v\n" }; <>'

(I use perl to exclude any interference from a shell) prints

HOME=/home/roderich
WINDOWID=50331673
DISPLAY=:0.0
COLORTERM=gnome-terminal

(I think bash would initialize TERM=dumb in this case, that would explain
the original posters observation),
but putting TERM into the environment (value doesn't matter), e.g.

env - DISPLAY=$DISPLAY HOME=$HOME TERM=foobar gnome-terminal ...

prints

TERM=xterm
HOME=/home/roderich
WINDOWID=50331673
DISPLAY=:0.0
COLORTERM=gnome-terminal

BTW, this is on a glibc 2.1 based system.

Cheers, Roderich

--
    the terrible thing about hell
    is that when you're there you can't even tell

    Phish, "Shafty"

Roderich Schupp                 mailto:rsch@ExperTeam.de
ExperTeam GmbH                  http://www.experteam.de/
Munich, Germany                 linux:2.3.6