GNOME Left-handed Mouse problem

Hi all,

     I am having a problem setting my mouse to left-handed
in GNOME.

    I have a PS/2 Intellimouse and all three buttons work (including
wheel functionality.) That is great, but I'd like it set to lefty.

    I used the GNOME Control Center to set my mouse left-handed
(like you do under windows), but that doesn't work. None of
the buttons work properly after I set it to "left."

    There is a xmodmap command that works great if I enter it
from the command line:
xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1 4 5"
    will make the Intellimouse work left-handed and preserve
the wheel functionality.

    Ok, so I put this command in the usual startup scripts for X Windows:
.xinitrc, .Xmodmap. and even the system versions of those.

    Well GNOME seems to overwrite the effects of the xmodmap command since
the
GNOME Control Center is configured for a right handed mouse (another level
preserves the xmodmap command's settings.)

    I want to use GNOME, not anotherlevel, so how do I force GNOME to
keep the left-handed setting?

    Is there a fix or work around for the Control Center problem with
the Intellimouse?

    Also, I am running Linux-Mandrake 6.0, a version of RH 6.0 with some
slight
mods.

    If you need any more details, let me know.

thanks,
Franco