Re: help with Gnome features

"Richard L. Peskin" wrote:

> I have just installed Red Hat 6.0 (Intel) and am starting to use Gnome. I
> have run into a couple of problems not covered in the User Manual. Can
> anyone help?
>
> 1. Whenever I log out of Gnome (or one of my users logs out of Gnome, a
> core dump is left in the top level of the user directory. Is this just a
> bug or do I have a configuration problem? (I am using Enlightenment WM and
> my kernel is an smp kernel.)

	Core dumps are usualy bugs, even if there are configuration problems.
:-)

> 2. How do I create desktop URL links (i.e. bookmarks). As delivered, the
> system has five desktop "URL" icons. (www.redhat.com, .........
> www.gnome.org) These are distinguished by the fact that their "properties
> window" has an extra panel (URL), and they act as web bookmarks. There is
> an option on the desktop menu called "Recreate desktop shortcuts" that
> appears to recover these if lost. The files for these (in
> ~/<user>/.gnome-desktop) is fairly simple (e.g. "URL:
> http://www.redhat.com"). I can find no documentation on the  "Recreate
> desktop shortcuts" or how to make my own desktop bookmarks.

	The simplest way of creating such URL icons is to simply drag and drop
them from the netscape. When you are visiting a page you can drag the
links on it and create a URL icon for what the link pointed to, or if
prefer you could drag the little bookmark icon that stays beside the
location text-field, this will create a URL icon for page you are at.

> 3. The Gnome user manual implies that the desktop menu has an option
> ""Rescan Mountable Devices", and that mountable devices should appear on
> the desktop. My desktop menu has no such option, not do mountable devices
> (e.g. /dev/cdrom) appear on the desktop.

	The recreate desktop icons should do the trick, but the devices appear
in the desktop only when they are user mountable. So for /dev/cdrom to
appear you must make shure that the entry in /etc/fstab for /dev/cdrom
is user mountable.

> 4. How do you change the mime type of a specific file? Where are the
> attributes (mime type, etc.) stored for individual files?

	I don't know if this is possible. :-/

--
"You take the red pill and you stay in wonderland,
and I'll show you how deep the rabit hole goes", Morpheus.

[]'s Victor Bogado da Silva Lins