Interesting Network problem

I installed gnome on a Redhat 5.2 linux box (CTX box with AMD 300mhz and a
cheap Dlink NIC with via-rhine driver).  Before installing we were sending
files across with FTP at 30mb, after installing gnome but not starting a
session, ftp transfer dropped to 175k.  After Starting a Gnome session,
performance stepped back up to 30mb between server and FTP client.  The ftp
was being performed from a Win98 client to the Linux box.  The Linux box
displayed a message "eth0:- Something wicked happened! 09" several times
when the ftp transfer was slow (Gnome not started).  We played with it
several times with the same results.  I did have problems during the install
but they seemed to be resolved.  The gnome version was 1.0.4 or at least the
rpm for redhat was gnome-core-1.0.4-13rh.i386.rpm.  Any guesses on this
one??