e backgrounds

How do I change the enlightenment backgrounds manually?

Previously I was using the Gnome Control Center to configure
enlightenment, but now when I go to the backgrounds section, everything is
shaded out :I

I looked in .englightenment in my home and edited the
.usr.local.enlightenment.config.blahblah desktop file but it seems it
doesn't work.

I didn't touch the config in the /usr/local/enlightenment/config directory
coz control center wouldn't be able to write that (I don't use or run
gnome-session as root) and it's the default settings. hasn't been touched,
so it obviously is writing the config and reading from some file
somewhere.. hmm

I'm at a loss here, I also looked in .gnome and .gnome_private.