imlib uses ImageMagick to convert png -> pnm?

I noticed while doing some stracing that my imlib (specifically when the panel
starts) is calling ImageMagick's "convert" utility to load each and every .png
file!  Like wow, what an overhead!  So I figure I must be missing something
for imlib to have to fallback to exec()ing an external utility to convert
something as plentifully used as PNGs.

Any idea what I have missing?  I have been through the configure output and
don't seen anything missing that looks like it would cause this.

Thanx,
b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                              InterLinx Support Services, Inc.
North Vancouver, B.C.                                             604 983 UNIX