how to get rid of buttons and icons in enlightenment?

Enlightenment is a very cool WM.  And the controls and buttons it has are
cool too.  If I were running a "standalone" enlightenment they would be
very useful, however with the e-conf control-center applet and the panel,
they really are superflous.

So, rather than have them crowd the edge(s) of the screen, I want to get
rid of them.

Any ideas how to?  I mean I know where the config files and such are but
identifying the buttons and what is the right way to remove them is a bit
cryptic.

Thanx,
b.

--