aclocal disaster

Hi again folks.  My current gnome compilation efforts have been
brought to a complete standstill by errors during autogen.sh.

For some reason I went and upgraded my autoconf and automake, and now
everything is going wonky.

I'm getting errors like:
Running aclocal  -I macros ...
aclocal: configure.in: 19: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 78: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 78: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 78: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 78: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 78: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 78: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
[snip]
Running automake --gnu  ...
gtk-xmhtml/Makefile.am:63: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnome/Makefile.am:91: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnome/Makefile.am:96: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnome/Makefile.am:100: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnome/Makefile.am:105: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnomeui/Makefile.am:249: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnomeui/Makefile.am:256: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnomeui/Makefile.am:263: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnomeui/Makefile.am:270: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnomeui/Makefile.am:277: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnomeui/Makefile.am:284: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnorba/Makefile.am:50: variable `ORBIT_LIBS' not defined
libgnorba/Makefile.am:54: variable `ORBIT_LIBS' not defined
libgnorba/Makefile.am:54: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnorba/Makefile.am:67: variable `ORBIT_LIBS' not defined
libgnorba/Makefile.am:67: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
libgnorba/Makefile.am:80: variable `ORBIT_LIBS' not defined
libgnorba/Makefile.am:80: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
zvt/Makefile.am:46: variable `GDK_IMLIB_LIBS' not defined
zvt/Makefile.am:46: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
test-suite/tests/Makefile.am:9: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
test-suite/tests/Makefile.am:9: variable `INTLLIBS' not defined
[snip]

And then when it gets to running autoconf it says there're a bunch of
undefined macros.

I know that part of this confusion has to do with previous autoconf
and automake being installed via RPM, so things were in
/usr/local/share, rather than /usr/share where things were generally
expected.

Anyone know of a way to solve this solution once and for all?  Can I
just remove a bunch of stuff, and reinstall and make all the error
messages go away? ;)  I'm pretty sure it has to come to that, because
I've got errors like you wouldn't believe.

Thanks for any help people might give.

--
Bruce Z. Lysik  <eldrik@logrus.com>   http://www.logrus.com/~eldrik