Gnome & Gtk+ - can't even get off the ground.

I decided to try installing Gnome on our local system (a bunch of
SPARCs running Solaris: `uname -a`="SunOS raglan 5.5.1
Generic_103640-21 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2" etc.)

So I went to the beginners guide at
http://www.cinternet.net/~soren/gnome/cvs.shtml
and followed the instructions therein.

First off I had to install m4, autoconf, automake, gettext and indent.
The following versions went in without a hitch:

m4-1.4
autoconf-2.13
automake-1.4
gettext-0.10
indent-1.9.1

and after a couple of squawks when trying to install glib, added

libtool-1.2

I cvs'd glib and gtk+ over to get the ball rolling.  glib went in
without a hitch.  gtk+ though is being a right pain:

$ ./autogen.sh --prefix=$GNOME/local
Running gettextize...  Ignore non-fatal messages.
Usage: gettextize [OPTION]... [package-dir]
  -h, --help           print this help and exit
  -v, --version        print version information and exit
  -f, --force          force writing of new files even if old exist
aclocal: configure.in: 0: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 0: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 0: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 0: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 0: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 0: macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 0: macro `AM_LC_MESSAGES' not found in library
configure.in:162: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:163: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:357: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:162: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:163: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
configure.in:357: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
./configure: syntax error at line 582: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE' unexpected

Now type 'make' to compile Gtk+.
$

Whoa!  I've tried everything and I can't get this thing to build me a working
.,/configure file.

Any help would be very gratefully received.  Ta,

Ralph

--
Ralph Becket  |  rwab1@cam.sri.com  |  http://www.cam.sri.com/people/becket.html