Re: gtk+ and gtk-engines slow

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Johan Groth wrote:

> bratsche@dfw.net wrote:
> >
> > No, I think the point was that one should be able to install GNOME onto
> > just about any kind of decent machine and expect it to run.
>
> Which leaves us the following question: What is a decent machine; a 33
> MHz 386 with 16 MB or a 66MHz 486 DX2 32 MB or a 100MHz 486 DX4 with 32
> MB or does it have to be a 90 MHz P5 with 64 MB?

I think, all things considered, GNOME should shoot to be installed and
usable on a high end 486 (100MHz DX2) or a low end Pentium (90MHz) with
32MB of RAM.  We need to be reasonable and not expect everyone to have a
high end system just to run GNOME, but in the same vein, people that are
still running 486 33s with 16 MB of RAM need to be realistic on what they
can run compiled with all the defaults.  The implication there is that it
should be able to be tweaked to run on lower end machines, but not by
default.

Regards,
Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

The river Ankh is probably the only river in the universe on which the
investigators can chalk the outline of the corpse.
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Men At Arms)