Question regarding *-ERROR messages

Just a simple question:

I compiled glib, gtk+, and some of the gnome packages without
debugging. It was more or less an experiment to see if things could get
even faster :)

The problem is that the apps (eg gmc, control-center) aborts with
different error messages. Examples:

>gmc

** ERROR **: file gtkdtree.c: line 127 (gtk_dtree_load_path): assertion failed: (parent)
aborting...

>gnomecc

(select theme-switcher)

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkList'

Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from (NULL) pointer to `GtkObject'
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Gdk-ERROR **: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)

aborting...

and similar messages. My question is, do the *-ERROR messages cause
gnome-apps to abort when the assertions (?) and debugging is turned
off? Then there are lots of apps that need to be fixed, cause they spit
out ERRORs every now and they.

I have the latest of everything from CVS, RH5.2+updates, i386, egcs
1.0.3.

Regards,
Richard