Re: gtk+ and gtk-engines slow

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> > agreed - I wrote the caching code for a good reason. people with extra
> > ram (which these days is cheap - what ? less than $1 per Mb ? thats for
> > 10ns SDRAM ?) can use ti to prevent cpu hogging - it works and works
> > well. I wish others woudl see this.
>
> Are you offering to pay the extra memory for a million machines?
>
> What is that for an extra 16 megs of ram?  just sixteen million
> dollars in a third world country with economic problems?  Boy, I bet I
> can withdraw all that money from the teller machine now.
>
> I will be happy to put you in contact with the people running the Red
> Escolar project.
>
> Miguel.

not even just there.. I'm in Oklahoma and ram is about $5+ a meg, and with
most jobs around me paying minimum wage, its getting harder around me.  I
could either pay tons for shipping from elsewhere, and have it crushed by
my local post office, or wait for 3 weeks for the 1 of 2 computer shops
around me to get some crushed for them and sell it to me for 5 times what
its worth.  When ya get that ram for those 1,000,000 machines, would ya
mind ordering an extra 40 meg and send it towards me for my 486.  Its got
24 megs and running strong, but if its gonna take 64 to run it, I'm gonna
need it.

sar