packaging, tarballs, rpms: a quick howto?

Hello All,

Quite simply, I now have what I believe to be the stablest Gnome desktop
I have yet to compile (which I am doing from CVS).  Great work to all
involved!

I want to roll what I have up, primarily for safekeeping.  If I get
something too unstable in the future I can go back to what I've got.  I
also would like to put exactly what I am running on a couple of other
machines.

So how can I easily make tarballs, or even RPMs out of my binaries (and
libraries of course)?  I mean I know how to make tarballs, what I want
to know more specifically is what is the easiest way to get a catalog of
what files to add to what tarballs?  How does gnome.org make the
tarballs they are distributing?  How 'bout the RPMs?

I saw some messages in the archive with regard to "make dist", and I
have tried that in both glib and gtk+ and both bombed out, both while
trying to make docs actually.  make dist in glib complained about a
missing texinfo.tex file and make dist in gtk+ complained about missing
a missing .gif file, but I can see from the Makefile that there should
be an html subdir in there and it's not.

Am I going to have this trouble trying to make tarballs of all of the
modules that I have?

Thanks,
b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                              InterLinx Support Services, Inc.
North Vancouver, B.C.                                             604 983 UNIX