Re: gtk+ and gtk-engines slow

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 raster@redhat.com wrote:
> > anbd to be honest. the numebr of 486's + 16 Mb of ram that will run
> > gnome compared to those on PII-300's is minimal - especialy considering
> > tat machines get faster - if you D have a 486+16mb ram then reduce the
> > settings yourself. GNOem shoudl NOt go overriding a users imlib prefs.
> > ever.
>
> It is correct that GNOME should not blindly override a user's imlib
> prefs.  But it is also reasonable to allow GNOME to override the default
> imlib-config settings at the direction of the user.
>
> Surely you do not expect everyone on legacy machines to know about a
> specific setting in a specific program, which needs to be tweaked just
> to make their setup useable.
>
> Also, there are GNOME _developers_ currently using 486's.  Please don't
> forget these legacy machines when you develop, just because you have a
> shiny new PII on your desk.  :)
>
> 	Jeff

true.. I'm not a developer, but there will actually probably be quite a
few people out there with "resurrected" networks, ie. a bunch of 486's,
that either run gnome now, or will soon.  I run it on a 486-40 w/ 24 megs
of ram.  Of course its a minimalistic setup, but its still being done.

sar

If God is One, what is bad?
                -- Charles Manson

Death has been proven to be 99% fatal in laboratory rats.