Re: gtk+ and gtk-engines slow

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999 raster@redhat.com wrote:
> it checks if preferences say to disable the imlbi pixmap cache then
> sets this - what mgiuel doest realise is ther ALREAYd IS an IMLIb
> PREFERENCES PROGRAM
>
> imlib_config
[...]
> I'm going to disable this code in gnome-libs and I don't see ANY good
> reasonf or it to be re-renabled. it only leads to horrendous
> performance issues.

FWIW the change makes sense; but before making such a global change to
GNOME, it would be nice to see hard before and after performance numbers
for a few platforms.

Different situations and setups can lead to different problems with the
same code.  Miguel probably had a reason to do what he did; maybe the
pixmap cache hurts 486 platforms with <16MB of RAM, for example.

And the control center should probably tie into imlib-config, if it
doesn't already.

	Jeff