Re: Recent libraries are huge: new libtool/automake at fault?

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, James Henstridge wrote:
> If you want smaller libraries, set CFLAGS to something like -O2 (or -O6
> -march=whatever -mcpu=whatever for egcs) before running autogen.sh.

-O2 (or -Oanything) usually doesn't hurt size, but anything higher can
sometimes actually give you a LARGER binary. What it does by default is
try to give you a faster binary, not a smaller one.  If you want to
minimize size while enabling degugging, use
  -Os -g -march=<arch> -mcpu=<cpu>
if you want to really minimize size and don't care about debugging, use
  -Os -fomit-frame-pointer

I've got a slow machine with a huge drive, I use
  -O1 -finline-functions -funroll-loops -mcpu=486 -g
Those libraries are HUGE, but it runs GNOME faster on my 486 than
Windows 95 runs on a slow Pentium.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef