Re: mini-commander bug

jirka@5z.com (George) writes:

> actually my personal opinion is that applets using handlebox are
> braindamaged since it adds a whole another area of possible breakage

Unfortunately I have to agree...

> is there real use for it??

Because mini-commander is mainly a text entry it is not possible to
reduce its width very much.  And when this applet is embedded into a
vertical panel then the width of the whole panel becomes very large.
Because of this it is nice to detach this large applet from the panel
so that the panel can shrink back to its normal size.

> > yes but is this feature important enough to be causing all these problems?
> > the right solution is to write a floating panel type, so that you can
> > do the same but sanely (and with any applet) ...
> >
> > This should appear shortly as it is on my todo-list

Please send a note to me or this list when this done.  I would like to
use it in mini-commander.

> yes but if there is no drag off in the mini-commander ... I can just add a
> popup menuitem "Tear off the applet into a new floating panel" or something
> to that effect .... that will be clean, will work correctly etc ... etc ...
> however I dunno when I'll get to adding a floating panel ... hopefully
> soon, so that we can get rid of the ugly handlebox hacks

While we are talking about this: I really like the ALT-F2 thing in
KDE.  When you press these keys a text entry pops up and you enter a
command and start a program like you can do it in mini-commander.  I'm
not an expert but I think that it depends on the window manager how
such a feature has to be implemented.  Or does anyone know a way to do
this in GNOME independently from the underlying window manager?

Cheers,

Oliver

--
FileWatcher.org - http://filewatcher.org/