gnome-libs compilation problems

I'm trying to compile the cvs version of gnome-libs and have the following
problem. Everything works fine until gtk-xmhtml, which always comes up
with this output:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -o .libs/htmltest test.o -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/usr/local/lib ../gtk-xmhtml/.libs/libgtkxmhtml.so -lXpm -ljpeg -lpng
-lz -lz -lSM -lICE -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule
-lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11
-lm -lm -lXpm -ljpeg -lpng -lz -lz -lSM -lICE -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/X11R6/lib
-lgtk -lgdk -rdynamic -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm -lm
../gtk-xmhtml/.libs/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to `uncompress'
../gtk-xmhtml/.libs/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to `compress'

Ok, so this is something to do with zlib, but that seems to be linked when
necessary. There are no other fatal errors, and the non-fatal ones appear
to be what you expect from source compilation anyway.

I tried installing gnome-libs-0.99.0-1 just to see if that would work. The
rpm had been compiled with a different gtk+, so that wouldn't straight
install. The SRPM failed to build for exactly the same reason as the cvs
source.

I don't know enough of how libraries are made to really understand what
the problem is here, so any help would be appreciated.

If I've left out any information which I should have included, please let
me know.

Versions:
gtk+ and gnome-libs cvs from today
glib, etc cvs from about a week and a half ago
zlib-1.1.3-2 rpm, and devel both built with the current setup

Thanks for any help!

-Dave