libaudiofile and mpeg audio

Hello,

I've just written some code to include MPEG-audio support into
libaudiofile.
It uses the MPEG-audio decoder from XingTech, which is under the GPL and

part of the freeamp project. One drawback is that the decoder is not
distributed
as a separate library until now.

One possibility is to include the MPEG-library into the audiofile
package until
the freeamp-team release it as sparate package.

Is this OK or are there any other suggestions?

Does anybody knows another (better?) mpeg decoder library (GPLed)?

Brett A. Thomas wrote (from the freeamp team)
>On Mon, Jan 11, 1999 at 10:24:22AM +0100, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> we are writing an generic audio library (libaudiofile - see Gnome
CVS) and
>> want to include MPEG audio support. I've recently detected that the
XingTech
>> MPEG decoder is part of the freeamp-player, and that it is GPL'ed.
The only
>> problem is that the decoder-library is not distributed as a separate
>> package.
>>
>> So the question is if you are willing to supply the decoder-library
as a
>> separate package?
>
>We don't really have time to do this at this time - we're focused on
>FreeAmp as an end-user product, at the moment.  Also, for what it's
>worth, the Xing decoder in its current form is reasonably slow, and
>I'm not sure you'd want to use it for that, anyway.
>
>We will consider it, in the future, however.
>
>On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 09:30:23AM +0100, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
>> I think the decoder is fast enough to be usable. I've already
extracted
>> the decoder from freeamp, and it's possible to include it into the
>> audiofile-library. So if you don't have time to release it as
separate
>> package, we can include it temporary into our library (without making
modifications).

>> Do you object to this plan. It would be really nice to have
MPEG-support in