Re: gnome-core 0.99.2 tarball is useless - REMOVE IT THEN

>From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>

>Well, the only reason why it might be harder is because Solaris ships
>with practically no useful graphic library (and GNOME uses a bunch of
>them), but if you have those installed, GNOME does pretty much work if
>you do:
>
>./configure; make install

I think there's more to it than that.  RedHat didn't ship with those libraries
until 5.2, either, and installing them on both is little different.

More to the point is the differences between the basic applications and tools.
I'm pretty sure all the problems I had with libtool SEGVing on me, that I fixed
simply by splitting up the echos into the wrapper file, were down to "echo".  It
looks to me that echo on Solaris was SEGVing under certain situations, possibly
having too large an arguement to print, but I don't think it was that simple.

I worked around it, but you can imagine it wasn't all that easy tracking down
why I had broken scripts instead of executables for panel, gnome-session and
some applets.  The SEGV message from libtool scrolled passed real fast during
the compile, and didn't stop the compile process, so I was lucky to notice it
and then I had to find out where it was coming from...

It's surprising how little differences can become big issues.  Chaos theory in
action ;O)

Ta,

Mark.