Re: closing extra fd's in gnome_execute_*

On 11 Jan 1999, Martin Baulig wrote:

> Elliot Lee <sopwith@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > On 10 Jan 1999, Martin Baulig wrote:
> >
> > > Well, if I understand this correctly, any program expecting any other file
> > > descriptor than 0, 1 or 2 open won't work when invoked in the shell for
> > > most people (don't know - is something like `foo 5<bar' valid shell syntax?).
> >
> > Yes. configure scripts depend on this working.
>
> Well, is this really an issue for gnome_execute_* () ? Normally configure
> scripts are invoked in a shell like bash, the shell opens the file
> descriptors and passes them to the configure scripts - but when do one
> use gnome_execute to invoke a configure script ?

You can't use gnome_execute to exec a configure script :).  It needs to
run in a shell.  If someone writes a sh compatible shell using gnome, they
can call gnome_execute_async_with_fds and get the old behavior.  It would
be much better to add a flag to gnome_execute_async to see if the FD's
should be closed or not, but we can do that if its really necessary during
the next devel cycle after 1.0.

Manish Vachharajani               Some Haiku: A crash reduces
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>                   your expensive computer
                                              to a simple stone - Unknown