Please help this newbie compiling CVS sources

Hi:
My system is Red Hat 5.2.
I builded succesfully glib and gtk+ following the recomandations from the
faq.
But when I try to build imlib I receive this message error:

[root@localhost imlib]#
./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome --with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome
You should add the contents of `/usr/local/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
aclocal: configure.in: 11: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library
utils/Makefile.am:90: variable `GTK_LIBS' not defined
utils/Makefile.am:90: variable `GTK_LIBS' not defined
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
./configure: ./configure: line 529: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

I suspect I have some configuration error but I can't figure what It is.
I have set:
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS=" -I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal"
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gnome/bin

and added /opt/gnome/lib to ld.so.conf

Before trying CVS I downloaded tarballs, but the I received an error message
with gnome-core (something about cpuload.c). Then I decided to try CVS.

I read previous messages of people with same problem but without a solution,
and something
related to zlib and the necessity to rm it. But It seems that (between
others) it is needed by rpm so
I don't know if Ihave to remove it.

[root@localhost src]# rpm -q zlib
zlib-1.1.3-2
[root@localhost src]# rpm -e zlib
removing these packages would break dependencies:
libz.so.1 is needed by info-3.12-9
libz.so.1 is needed by ghostscript-4.03-1
libz.so.1 is needed by gimp-1.0.1-2
libz.so.1 is needed by glint-2.6.2-1
libz.so.1 is needed by gnome-linuxconf-0.14-4rh
libz.so.1 is needed by ImageMagick-4.1.0-1
libz.so.1 is needed by libgr-progs-2.0.13-13
libz.so.1 is needed by lynx-2.8.1-5
libz.so.1 is needed by python-1.5.1-5
libz.so.1 is needed by rpm-2.5.5-5.2
libz.so.1 is needed by tetex-0.9-6
libz.so.1 is needed by texinfo-3.12-9
libz.so.1 is needed by xpaint-2.4.9-6
libz.so.1 is needed by xv-3.10a-13

Well, at this point I'm a bit confused and I don't know what to do to have
gnome working.
Please, if you can, help me.

Regards:
Roberto Bertolusso