Re: gnome-core 0.99.2 tarball is useless - REMOVE IT THEN

>From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@nuclecu.unam.mx>
>
>I am the culprit.

Brave man, sticking your head over the parapet like that =O)

I can only say that trying to build the pre-release tarballs *without* being on
this list first is not altogether sane.  I have found the speed of response from
the developers about problems I've found (and sometimes fixed, sometimes asked
for help) to be amazing - far faster than the developers of the commercial
software I support for a living.

Just goes to prove why the Open Software community is so worth trying to be a
part of. ;O)

Anyway, before trying to build the next release, make sure you're on this alias,
and watch here regularly for comments and fixes about/for it.  It helped me no
end - and believe me, getting GNOME up on a SPARC/Solaris 8 box is far harder
than on a Linux/Intel system.

I'm planning to properly document all the tweaks and hacks I make in getting the
next release built and running here and make a webpage of it.  This will help me
remember what I did when I have to do it again next time round, hopefully will
help others build their own, and most importantly might help the developers fix
the problems in the source before we go FCS.

But I don't expect to be able to do it alone, so if anyone thinks this is a good
idea and makes a fix to get it running on their own system, please post it to
me, along with details of your system configuration, so I can make the page more
complete?

Thanks,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'                                             I'm the dots in .co.uk