Re: esound and playing mp3's ?

On Sun, Jan 10, 1999 at 03:53:29PM +0900, sungod wrote:

> environment where each coder is giving his code away for free in his
> spare time. please try to keep that in mind as you read the responses to
> your posts, and craft your suggestions accordingly.

I was under the impression that RedHat was actually paying some of the
Gnome developers to work on it.  If that's the case, the deal is a bit
different than if this is all traditional open source development.

Also, to use Eric Raymond's paradigm, the coders are getting the
recognition; the tarballistas aren't.  I'm sure I haven't put in the
hours on this that the coders put in, but then I'm neither being paid by
Red Hat or building my resume.  And I have put in hours on this, as well
as on XEmacs (not as active on that now).  I've also spent time with
sketch and built Gimp on a regular basis from .99.10 on through the
first release.

If some of you are getting paid by RedHat for working on this, then you
can't expect the same patience levels that would be due complete
volunteers.  And if you're not, then this needs to be corrected in
various on-line accounts of Gnome.

We wouldn't be here if we didn't basically like the majority of the
programs.  If we lose patience from time to time, it's because we are
more focused on what we can do with Gnome rather than what we can do to
Gnome.

--
Rebecca Ore