Re: esound and playing mp3's ?

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Michael Kraus wrote:

> I am sure that Rasterman is aware of the (*current*) limitations of esd...

I'm sure, too.  I'm sure he knows much more about it than I do, which is why
I was asking a clarifying question.

> It would be good to remember that neither e nor gnome has had actually hit
> version 1 yet!!!

Yes, and hopefully when they do, they'll contain excellent implementations of
the features that the end user wants to see.

> Installing and using these software is at your own risk.  Don't expect
> things to work perfectly and correctly.  There's still a lot to debug and
> to *fully implement*.

Yes, indeed.  I've just pointed out a few of them that others might or might
not have thought of.

> Are you aware of the complexity of work that goes into the projects that
> Rasterman is doing?  Do you know how much work Rasterman has done in such a
> short period of  time?

I've been following E development since 0.8, pre-imlib.  I'm very aware,
perhaps more than most.

In any case, esd is not Raster's direct project, so the point is moot.

> At least wait until the product is complete before beginning judgement.

Let me get this straight.

Reducing your statement to its logical conclusion, we get "don't comment on a
product to the developers until they announce it is finished," since anything
but 'grate softwarez d00d' could be construed as 'judgment.'

As far as I know, no Open Source product is ever finished unless it is
abandoned, so, to reduce further, what you're saying is "don't give feedback
to the developers, they know what they're doing."

And, again, last I checked, feedback to developers on bugs, feature requests,
and new ideas is one of the major driving forces for improvement in software?
The hope being that, by the time a project reaches 1.0, it is the product of
more people's visions than just the coders?  That that's why developers
release source during the development cycle?  At least, that's how I _thought_
it should work.

Jeez, folks, is it really that for this project, you can only make critical
comment if you can offer a patch to fix it?  I was hoping to help out in what
ways I could, but it's starting to look like my type of help ain't welcome
here....

R Pickett                Look around you. This is what the world
emerson@hayseed.net      looks like at the end of the millenium.