Re: esound and playing mp3's ?

> On  9 Jan, R Pickett scribbled:
> ->  On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Michael Johnson wrote:
> ->
> ->  > It's really sad to have to kill esd to play an mp3 and then restart
> ->  > it when you're finished as I think the whole point of having a sound
> ->  > daemon was to not have to do this.
> ->
> ->  Ah, a topic near and dear to my heart.
> ->
> ->  I don't run esd, simple because I mostly run 'un-enlightened' sound-producing
> ->  programs.  The entire concept that a single daemon is going to grab my sound
> ->  hardware and only allow access to esd-compliant programs seems very contrary
> ->  to the goals of OpenSource;  it's a very "my way or the highway" attitude for
>
> incorrect. RTFM pay attention.
>
> esddsp app_name
>
> ooh wow it works via esd now
>
> esddsp x11amp
>
> ooh it works via sed now
>
> esddsp blahblah
>
> humpf
>
> donest work with everything but works with quiet a few standard audio
> apps.

For me esddsp isn't working. Could the problem be that I compiled esound
with libc6, and that for example rvplayer is a libc5 program?

Using esddsp on libc5 programs results in a segmentation fault. On libc6
I'm getting

/usr/local/lib/libesddsp.so:/usr/local/lib/libesd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

man ld.so explains that the list of libraries in LD_PRELOAD needs to be
whitespace-separated. Indeed, changing the : in the esddsp script into
a space solves the problem for libc6 programs.

I'm using ld.so.1.9.5 in case that makes a difference.

Ronald