ORBit compilation: unexpected token(s)

I'm having serious trouble getting ORBit to compile.  I thought it was a
mismatch of packages on my beaten around Redhat 5.0 so spent a week
fighting with it before spending the $ for 5.2.  I have a slightly
different but awfully similar problem now.

glib, gtk+, imlib, ORBit taken from CVS as of earlier tonight (jan 08th);
all compile fine except for ORBit and for some warnings.

When running:
./autogen.sh --prefix=/opt/gnome --with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome
I get the following at the end of the screenful of information:

-------
configure.in:203: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow
cross compiling
processing libIDL
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
aclocal: configure.in: 33: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
autoconf: Undefined macros:
configure.in:12:AC_CPP_ACCEPT_IDL
configure.in:16:AC_CPP_PIPE_STDIN
Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --prefix=/opt/gnome
--with-gtk-prefix=/opt/gnome
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'
./configure: ./configure: line 573: `AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)'

Now type 'make' to compile ORBit.

-------------

Firstly, do I need to worry about the warning telling me to add the
contents of libtool.m4 to aclocal.m4?  The other packages gave this
warning and compiled fine.

Secondly, do I have a mismatch with some of the earlier gnome packages
that redhat decides to install for it's control-panel and such like.  I
started to clean them all out but it affected too many packages so I
decided to let them be for now.

I've tried doing:
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal"
but this only changes the error to one that reads:
.... unexpected token 'AM_PATH_GLIB .....

Any ideas?

thanks,
-dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /  dsb3@earthlink.net
 --|    oOobodoO        /
 --|     ooOoOo       /    ... did you exchange