Re: gnome-name-service crash

> Hello,
>
> The latest FOR_PANEL ORBit from CVS is giving me problems.
> gnome_name_service is crashing in a way that I can't really
> explain. Here is a gdb session.
>
> (gdb) file /usr/local/bin/gnome-name-service
> Reading symbols from /usr/local/bin/gnome-name-service...done.
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gnome-name-service
> warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
> warning: GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
> warning: and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
> iiop_connection_init: used 0, now 14484

> 0x400a1b37 in iiop_connection_server () at connection.c:470
> 470       GIOP_CONNECTION(server_cnx)->fd = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP);
> (gdb) break iiop_connection_server
> Breakpoint 1 at 0x400a1a9f: file connection.c, line 462.
> (gdb) run
> The program being debugged has been started already.
> Start it from the beginning? (y or n) y
> Starting program: /usr/local/bin/gnome-name-service
> warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
> warning: GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
> warning: and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
> Cannot insert breakpoint 1:
> Temporarily disabling shared library breakpoints:
> 1
>
> Breakpoint 1, iiop_connection_server () at connection.c:462
> 462       IIOPConnection *server_cnx = g_new0(IIOPConnection, 1);
> (gdb) next
> 464       AM();
> (gdb) print server_cnx
> $1 = (IIOPConnection *) 0x8052050
> (gdb) next
> 465       iiop_connection_init(server_cnx, GIOP_CONNECTION_SERVER, IIOP_IPV4);
> (gdb) print server_cnx
> $2 = (IIOPConnection *) 0x8052050
> (gdb) next
> 466       PM("iiop_connection_init");
> (gdb) print server_cnx
> $3 = (IIOPConnection *) 0x8052050
> (gdb) next
> iiop_connection_init: used 0, now 14484
> 468       AM();
> (gdb) print server_cnx
> $4 = (IIOPConnection *) 0x3894
> (gdb)
> (gdb) next
> 469       server_cnx->is_serversock = TRUE;
> (gdb) print server_cnx
> $8 = (IIOPConnection *) 0x400a7298
> (gdb) next
> 470       GIOP_CONNECTION(server_cnx)->fd = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP);
> (gdb) print server_cnx
> $9 = (IIOPConnection *) 0x400a7298
> (gdb) next

> 0x400a1b37 in iiop_connection_server () at connection.c:470
> 470       GIOP_CONNECTION(server_cnx)->fd = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP);
>

> I don't see how server_cnx can get changed by AM() and PM(), and it's
> too late in the early morning now to find out.
>
> Ronald

With the very latest ORBit from CVS I keep having this problem. I still
don't understand in what way AM() and PM() are messing things up. After
defining these two macros to be empty, gnome applications are starting
up again. But I still don't understand what's wrong with my system
(Linux 2.0.36, glibc-2.06) and I'm obviously the only person
getting this. Any ideas?

Ronald