Re: Gnome 1.0.0?

On 26 Feb 1999, Preben Randhol wrote:

> Kevin Miller <sar@403forbidden.net> writes:
>
> | Just because its named 1.0.0 in cvs doesnt mean its anywhere near 1.0
> | final release.  I'm not sure how it will go, but it could just mean the
> | 1.0.0 stage of the freeze, then go into code freeze, and feature freeze
> | other modules in cvs.  Then once all is caught up make the final.  But I
> | could be 101% wrong.
>
> I think that gnome is too unstable/immature to be released as 1.0.0
> any time soon. The current version is 0.99.8 as I can see.

I disagree, but only partially.  I see for the most part of gnome ready as
1.0.0.  However there are somethings that should be fixed before the
release.  Most applications I use are very stable.  gnome-libs definetly
seems to work.  gmc is a problem.  It has many many bugs ( I am only
using .18 dl 21 right now) It seems to crash onve in a while.  It hangs
when starting up ( only sometimes )  It can't parse the .desktop files.

IMHO balsa also seems very unstable (CVS two days ago). It can't close my
inbox without crashing.

I have no problems with most of the applications.  They are all
very stable.  I'm sure many disagree, but I feel like get the bugs out,
box it, ship it, and what better way to get more bug reports than calling
it pre 1.0.0 plus I don't know if there's any coincidence but gtk 1.2.0
came out recently ( coincidence ? )

Just my $.02

Mike