RE: background capplet

If you run on a redhat 5.2 box

/usr/X11/libs/xscreensaver/rocks -root

you get a cool flying through space animated desktop :)

If you look at After Step, there is a background option in it that allows
you to set any screensaver as your background

so the idea would be to have in the background capplet

color ------- image ------- animation

If you set an animation it starts up the animation ( screensaver) on the
background on startup.