Re: Panel sliding: Old slide algorithm back please?

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 07:01:35PM +0000, Chris Evans was heard to say:

> Hi,
>
> Around about 0.99.7, the panel and drawer sliding algorithms were changed
> so that the things scroll at constant speed when being hidden/unhidden
> etc.
>
> The old variable speed mechanism was far prettier to the eye. Can anyone
> enlighten us as to why it was changed?
>
> At the very least can we have a checkbox option to restore the old
> behaviour? Pretty please? :)

  I see something even stranger.  I haven't been able to compile gnome-core for
a while and no-one mentioned this on the list so I thought it was probably
fixed in CVS.  But I just recompiled and it's still there.

  The problem is this:  not only is the panel sliding jerky (and not always
the same speed), but sometimes the panel will  (and not alwaythe same speed)
'unroll' or 'roll'.  I can't describe it any other way.  The panel itself
(that is, the thing with all the buttons and applets) suddenly jumps all the
way to its destination, but there seems to be a 'bounding rectangle' that
isn't synced.  So when closing I see the button on the screen edge with a
grey rectangle left behind that is gradually resized to behind the button,
while while opening the widgets and so on jump to their final position but
aren't visible until the 'rectangle' expands in increase them!  This happens
particularly with corner panels on the left side, but I've seen it other
places too. (I think I hide the corner panels on the left side more often,
maybe.:-) )

  Daniel Burrows

--
"It is hard to think of anything less sentient than a pumpkin."
  -- Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_