Re: Conflicting backgrounds

+++ Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 12:44:45PM -0500 +++
raster@redhat.com e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
> ->  I think there should be a checkbox in the background-properties
> ->  capplet to say "Let the WM draw the background". If Gnome absolutely
> ->  wants to do its own ones, it should be possible to effectively stop
> ->  the WM from redrawing the background.
>
> not possible - you need the WM to co-operate - you cannot "forbid" it.
> any wm can do this - see same problem if you use xv, or any other thing
> to change the bg (xmountains, xearth etc.)

I know this. I am talking only of Gnome-compliant WMs and
Gnome-compliant applications here. I think there should be a way to
clue the WM (via Gnome hints?) that it should absolutely not draw into
the root window.

mawa
--
The best design is not predicated on how brain-dead you can be and
still operate it.