Re: background? (+other stuff)

On Sun, Feb 21, 1999 at 10:41:24PM -0600, brady was heard to say:
> I'm not sure whether these issues are Enlightenment, Gnome or XFree86 but I thought I'd ask and see if there have been any similar experiences.
>
> 1.  Background:  I set my background in the Gnome Control Center and it stays for the current session but when I restart it brings up the Enlightenment background.  Actually on startup it flashes my background for just a second then the E background a!
> ppears.

  This has been bugging me for a long time.  Why does Gnome provide at least
two ways to change the background independant of the 'native' window manager
method?  Most WMs let you configure the background already, having Gnome fight
with them for control of it is not good..
  (for example: I currently have a WindowMaker theme selected.  If I used the
   Gnome 'background-properties' method, it would create a race between Gnome
   and WindowMaker to draw the background and if they were different
   backgrounds the root window might end up with either one..even if not, it's
   a waste of CPU cycles to load the same image twice. :-) )

  Daniel

--
"It is hard to think of anything less sentient than a pumpkin."
  -- Terry Pratchett, _Witches Abroad_