Unable to use some fonts

Hello,

I just installed the .8 RPM packages yesterday to take a look at how
GNOME is coming along.  Overall, a hearty congratulations to all
involved.  The set is working extremely well.

I have one problem that's bugging me a bit.  I'm using xfstt to allow me
to use TrueType fonts in X.  Prior to GNOME, I was able to access all of
those fonts without problems.  For non-GNOME applications, I'm still
able to use all of them.

Within GNOME apps, however, I'm having a problem with one particular
directory of fonts.  The fonts originally listed 'win98' as their
foundry, since they're copies of the fonts I have installed on the other
half of this machine.  These fonts don't come up in any of the font
selectors (xfontsel will show them).

Thinking that numerals in the foundry name might be causing a problem, I
stopped xfstt, moved the fonts to a directory called 'microsoft' and
restarted the font server.  This doesn't appear to have solved the
problem.

Are Win98 fonts banned from GNOME?  :)  Is there something inherently
wrong with these fonts that makes them unsuitable for use?  Did I miss a
step in setting up GNOME?  I'd really like to have these fonts
available, if possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated?

--
Steve Philp