Re: gdm and E

On 19 Feb, Federico David Sacerdoti scribbled:
->  Hi,
->
->  After deleting the orbit-<user> dirs in my tmp directory, gdm is kicking
->  ass like it was designed to.
->
->  As for gnome session, it would be nice if nothing ever crashed. Then there
->  would never be problems. Barring that, it would be nice if "vital"
->  programs such as the window manager were always started in a g-session
->  regardless of what is in ~/.gnome.
->
->  But things look great in .8... E seems to start faster, and the session in
->  general seems to load more quickly. It feels like the code got quicker. I
->  may just be seeing what I want to see, but it looks great :)
->
->
->  Now a few things:
->
->  E:
->  -E should default to the focus behavior of "All new windows that appear
->  get the keyboard focus". That way when you launch a new terminal or

no - because this is the most annoying thing on the planet - if YOU
like it then YOU set it to that. requesting default behavior just
because YOU like it isnt a good thing.

->  netscape window, it is waiting for you. You launched it in the first place
->  so you could use it, and expect it to listen to you when it arrives. The
->  extra mouse click to focus it to the keyboard is distracting.

and netscape takes 6 seconds to come up even on a fast box (uncached)
and in the meantime i want ot keep writing my e-mail wihtotu being
interupted rudely by my typing spotaneously goign to a new window.

->  Panel:
->  -I would like to see the pager's location default to the left side of
->  the panel. The action focused there next to the gnome menu anyway, and
->  having an applet as usefull as the pager all the way to the right side
->  seems a little too far away.
->
->  Terminal:
->  -The terminal window does not close on an "exit" or "^D". This is a
->  departure from before, and I wonder if it was intended.
->
->
->  I realize that these issues can be qualified as "nitpicking", but the
->  small points are what define the *feel* of a desktop. That feel is pretty
->  important, and should be tweaked so that the maximum number of people are
->  happy with it.
->
->  take care,
->  -FDS