Re: Using GPL for LibGTop with an exception for the GNOME Project

> Currently the copyright of LibGTop is LGPL as it was since the early
> beginning and if I understand things correctly it is required to use
> the LGPL for any library that is distributed together with GNOME.

It is not a requirement.  But we have chosen to make the core gnome
libraries available under the GPL (that is, gnome-libs).  It is
perfectly fine to have libraries under the GPL though.

> This exception should make it possible to use LibGTop under the terms
> of the LGPL in the GNOME Project and for any (even commercial) GNOME
> application - but it should prevent commercial software writers from
> using LibGTop in commercial non-GNOME applications.

Well, there is no need for the exception.  If you use the GPL for the
library the GNOME project programs can use the code, but proprietary
applications wont be able to use it.  So using the GPL effectively
achieves your goal.

Miguel.